Director/Senior Director, Project Management
Dynavax is a fully-integrated biopharmaceutical company dedicated to developing and commercializing innovative vaccines to prevent disease. Our vision and work ethic are guided by the collective ideals underpinning our corporate values, and these form the basis of our dynamic company culture. Our employees are based throughout the United States (including our headquarters in the San Francisco Bay Area) and our manufacturing facility in Düsseldorf Germany.
This position is based in our Corporate Headquarters in Emeryville, CA and will be responsible for project management of key strategic programs within the R&D portfolio. Depending on corporate priorities, the responsibilities may include creating and executing plans for pre-clinical and clinical development programs, external/partner collaborations, or other initiatives. This position reports to the President and Chief Operating Officer. As the company grows the position may take on more program and portfolio management responsibilities with the potential to lead a project and program management team.
- Partner with project leadership, company management, and project team members to collaboratively create and execute on the company’s R&D projects with high quality on time and within budget
- Facilitate project team meetings, cross-functional communication and decision making to meet project/business goals. Manage the interfaces between functional areas and ensure effective handoff and communication between functions.
- Communicate, document, and archive project team activities and decisions; act as a primary contact for project team related information.
- Prepare project updates and clearly communicate status in written documents and presentation
- Establish and maintain functionally integrated project timelines and budgets to enable accurate project, financial and portfolio analyses for business planning processesFacilitate the Research and Development Steering Committee
- Analyze portfolio and project issues, prepare executive reports and presentations.
- Responsible for agendas, minutes, action items and project timelines.
- Expected to identify bottlenecks, surface issues, and proactively drive for their resolution.
- Proactively and expertly challenge the team to reach high-quality decisions. Lead contingency planning efforts.
- Understand the development process, scientific basis, disease targets, and competitive landscape, especially vaccines.
- A BA or BS degree in the Life Sciences; Advanced degree (MS or MBA) a plus
- 10-15 or more years of experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry with at least 6-8 years of direct cross functional, cross-disciplinary project management.
- Vaccine development experience a plus.
- Expert in project management tools and processes. Highly skilled at meeting management.
- Must be willing and able to perform both tactical, operational work (agendas, minutes, timelines) as well as engage and drive strategic dialogue across all levels of leadership.
- Demonstrated success interacting with Key Opinion Leaders and Collaboration Partners.
- Expert at dealing with ambiguity and uncertainty of Research and Development while maintaining overall strategic alignment.
- Ability to summarize complex information into simple concepts for broad communication to project teams as well as for management status reports.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management skills
- Excellent analytical skills, with an ability to communicate complex issues
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong computer proficiency with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project and MS Powerpoint