Manager/Senior Manager, Payroll
Dynavax is a fully-integrated biopharmaceutical company dedicated to developing and commercializing innovative vaccines to prevent disease. Our vision and work ethic are guided by the collective ideals underpinning our corporate values, and these form the basis of our dynamic company culture. Our employees are based throughout the United States (including our headquarters in the San Francisco Bay Area) and our manufacturing facility in Düsseldorf Germany.
The Payroll Manager/Senior Payroll Manager will manage payroll services and be the subject-matter expert for all payroll related matters.
- Effectively manage and execute all aspects of the bi-weekly payroll processing for 30+ multi-state employee payroll using the ADP payroll system ensuring accuracy, compliance and outstanding service goals are consistently met
- Ensure payroll operations are conducted in accordance with Company’s internal controls and maintain documentation in compliance with Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) requirements
- Comply with federal, state, local legal and HR compliance requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions
- Compute and prepare manual checks, including calculation of withholdings and deductions that impact net earnings
- Prepare, analyze, and manage Federal and State wage reports
- Provide ad hock wage and compensation reporting
- Perform monthly variance analysis and prepare monthly journal entries
- Maintain accurate balance sheet accounts by reconciling monthly/quarterly reports
- Support all internal and external audits related to payroll
- Participate in the yearly 401-k nondiscrimination testing and auditing
- Partner with other stakeholder (such as HR, Finance, IT, and external service provider) to enhance employee experience and process optimization
- Other duties as assigned
- The Payroll Manager/Senior Payroll Manager will have a minimum of 15 years of progressive experience including management of in-house payroll
- Demonstrated knowledge of state and Federal Labor laws, pay practices and policies
- Experience with SOX compliance
- Previous experience working with ADP / WFN
- Demonstrated understanding and experience with all types of wage support and garnishment orders
- Anticipate a variety of needs and problems and proactively suggest approaches and solutions. Stay abreast of developing needs and requirements and act resourcefully.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to effectively communicate across departments and at all levels