Director, Government Affairs & Policy
Dynavax is a fully-integrated biopharmaceutical company dedicated to developing and commercializing innovative vaccines to prevent disease. Our vision and work ethic are guided by the collective ideals underpinning our corporate values, and these form the basis of our dynamic company culture. Our employees are based throughout the United States (including our headquarters in the San Francisco Bay Area) and our manufacturing facility in Düsseldorf Germany.
The Director, Government Affairs & Policy will lead policy and government affairs for Dynavax in the US market, support continued growth across our and drive access, uptake and sustainability of vaccination efforts for in-line and pipeline vaccine portfolios. The Director will also engage in economic, political, and fiscal research and analyses that will inform policy strategies and ensure policy efforts are integrated with business objectives. he role will drive the vaccine policy agenda at Federal and State levels, building strong stakeholder networks and leading broad policy engagement based on shared public health interests. The role will also be responsible for identifying strategic policy risks and opportunities, and providing trusted analysis, insights and recommended strategies to Dynavax teams. The role will be a dedicated and proactive partner to the US Commercial and Leadership Teams and work closely with the Medical Affairs, Research and Communications teams. It will build and lead the Dynavax US Policy & Government Affairs Team as well as contributing to global vaccine policy and public affairs strategies.
The position will report directly into Sr. Director of Market Access Operations & Policy.
- Develop and implement strategies to secure policy outcomes and funding that support business growth, including access, uptake and sustainability of vaccination efforts
- Identify strategic policy risks & opportunities, providing trusted analysis, insights, and recommended strategies to Dynavax teams
- Build relationships and represent Dynavax with key US policy stakeholders incl. Congress, White House, federal agencies, coalitions, KOLs, and advocacy groups and in coordination with appropriate internal and external partners
- Lead policy research and analysis to assess barriers and drivers to increasing access, uptake and sustainability of vaccination efforts.
- Have a thorough understanding of federal and state healthcare policy issues, including legislative, regulatory, and program management. Must understand how federal health care policies are established, implemented and enforced
- Experience driving demonstration projects and quality initiatives.
- Drive a vaccine policy agenda within major US trade bodies (BIO) and advocacy groups
- Represent company in relevant public forums and conferences related to vaccine policy and advocacy.
- Draft talking points, policy briefs and position papers, federal rulemaking comments, policy evaluation frameworks.
- Oversee vendors and budgets relating to policy and advocacy strategies, including contract lobbyists, ensuring accurate and timely compliance with all lobbying-related reporting
- Work with new product development/pipeline to inform the development of policy strategies for pipeline vaccines in the pediatric and adult vaccine portfolio and identify strategic policy opportunities at the corporate level (e.g., BARDA).
- Ensure collaboration with the Communications team to amplify policy messaging and contribute content for use in Dynavax owned internal and external platforms and channels
- Be a proactive partner to US Commercial, Medical, Development, Communications, and Leadership teams
- Bachelor's degree
- Master's or Professional degree in Public Policy (MPP), public health (MPH or MSPH), public administration (MPA), or economics, political science, or political economy (MA, MS), or law (JD) strongly preferred.
- At least ten years of demonstrated success working in the public policy arena and/or government.
- Deep knowledge and nuanced understanding of the US vaccines landscape and related political affairs, the US healthcare environment, and the workings of US policy and political systems.
- Strategic and innovative thinker. Strong business acumen and the ability to quickly grasp and act on complex and multi-dimensional issues that have the potential to impact Dynavax.
- Demonstrated ability to set strategic priorities, bring together different internal stakeholders, and move an agenda forward to resolution and action.
- Well-established relationships and networks with key decision makers and influential stakeholders across all levels of government and within the broader vaccine ecosystem.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills with the ability to effectively represent and speak on behalf of Dynavax in high level meetings and in public forums.
- Ability to manage numerous, competing priorities under pressure and effective collaborative working and program management skills.