Associate Director, R&D, Global Operations Finance
Dynavax is a fully-integrated biopharmaceutical company dedicated to developing and commercializing innovative vaccines to prevent disease. Our vision and work ethic are guided by the collective ideals underpinning our corporate values, and these form the basis of our dynamic company culture. Our employees are based throughout the United States (including our headquarters in the San Francisco Bay Area) and our manufacturing facility in Düsseldorf Germany.
Reporting to the Senior Director, FP&A, this role will lead the Dynavax R&D and Global Operations planning and reporting processes including budget, forecast, and long-range strategic planning as well as ad hoc and periodic financial reporting. This role will provide analytical and strategic support to the business owners accountable for the product pipeline and our CpG (Adjuvant in Covid-19 collaborations) business and will require significant interface between R&D and Technical Operations budget owners, the internal accounting team, and external parties. This role will also support financial reporting system maintenance and development pertaining to R&D and Global Operations planning and reporting.
- Lead R&D and Technical Operations departments through the budget, forecast and long-range planning processes
- Own CpG business P&L forecasts, budgets, budget variance analysis and ad hoc reporting to management
- Drive monthly financial and managerial reporting packages, including analysis of key financial metrics, executive level explanations of variances and trends. Deliver financial presentations to senior leadership, including annual budget and forecast summaries, and quarterly financial dashboards and reports.
- Actively engage in and oversee expense accrual processes for R&D, in collaboration with accounting and operational stakeholders. Ensure accuracy, transparency, and efficiency of financial close-related responsibilities, in coordination with other members of finance and accounting organization.
- Deliver ad hoc financial modeling to facilitate strategic discussions and decisions amongst business partners in Pre-Clinical, Clinical Development and Technical Operations as they pertain to product pipeline development and the CpG business (NPV, IRR, Discounted Cash Flow analysis)
- Evaluate clinical study contracts and invoices and determine financial implications pertaining to recorded expenses/accruals, budgets, and forecasts
- Support any reporting requirements associated with Government Clinical Grants
- Ensure compliance with all established financial SOX guidelines for the accuracy, completeness, and timeliness of financial reporting
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous experience in R&D finance function of a biopharmaceutical company
- 6-8+ years relevant experience
- Must have strong analytical, strategic, problem solving, and organizational skills
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint is critical
- Strong technical, communication, and presentation skills
- Excellent attention to details while not losing sight of the big picture
- Demonstrated success building relationships across various levels within an organization
- Proven ability to successfully own process and critical deliverables
- Education: BA/BS required
Additional knowledge and skills desired, but not required:
- Experience with financial applications (Vena, Microsoft AX, Power BI, etc.) is a plus
- Education: MBA is a plus, CPA is a plus