Director, Tax Strategy
Dynavax is a fully-integrated biopharmaceutical company dedicated to developing and commercializing innovative vaccines to prevent disease. Our vision and work ethic are guided by the collective ideals underpinning our corporate values, and these form the basis of our dynamic company culture. Our employees are based throughout the United States (including our headquarters in the San Francisco Bay Area) and our manufacturing facility in Düsseldorf Germany.
We are in search of a Director, Tax Strategy to lead and scale our tax function in a high visibility and impactful role that will be involved in all aspects of the Company’s global tax strategy, accounting, and compliance. You will oversee all aspects of accounting for income taxes, international, federal and state income tax compliance, property, sales & use tax, and U.S. and ex-US income tax projects. Position will also be responsible for leading the Company’s corporate insurance strategy and enterprise risk assessment associated with global tax and insurance programs.
- Provide strategic tax advice and leadership to management, to cross-functional teams, and to the audit committee
- Partner with teams on new and ongoing business initiatives to advise on tax impacts
- Develop and document tax strategies, policies and positions
- Manage process and relationship with outside tax advisors and external auditors.
- Oversee preparation and review of quarterly tax provisions, including uncertain tax position analyses, annual provision-to-return analyses, 10-Q/K footnote disclosures and account reconciliations
- Monitor legislative changes that may impact the Company’s tax positions
- Assist in the planning, formation and operational oversight of new entities
- Manage the budget process for the tax function
- Manages all insurance matters including general liability, clinical trial and product liability insurance renewals, certificates of insurance and all day-to-day communications and management of insurance broker. Principle interface with insurance broker
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field
- Demonstrated progressive experience in a tax role with a combination of relevant industry and public accounting experience.
- CPA and Master of Science in Taxation (MST) preferred
- Experience and strong understanding of ASC 740
- Experience in preparing and reviewing tax provisions
- Ability to explain complex tax concepts and suggestions to a non-tax technical audience
- Strong technical knowledge of corporate taxation, especially with regard to tax provision accounting and strategic tax planning
- Experience preferred with complex multi-entity structures and transfer pricing
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and Word.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team-oriented and fast-paced environment.
- Personal attributes should include detail-oriented, action/goal-oriented, follow through and drive projects to timely completion, ability to plan/manage deadlines.